Assistant Coach - Red Half Marathon Group (10:30 - 10:59)
- # of Years Running: 8 years
- # of Years with Austin Fit: 8 years – 1 year each to have each of her two boys
- # of Full or Half Marathons: 13 half marathons, 1 marathon, & 2 Half-Ironmans
- Favorite race is hard to pick. Betsy’s most proud of her Austin Half-Ironman (despite a lot more walking than she’d planned on due to the 90 degree heat during the run) and also of her first marathon this spring in New Orleans. Most fun half-marathon was probably the Disney 1/2 with her twin brother. They have done a lot of races together.
- Goal is to fundraise for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital in conjunction with the San Antonio race. This will be her trial-fundraising run because one day she’d like to fundraise in order to participate in the Boston Marathon.
Betsy was a runner and race-walker in middle and high school, but didn’t run at all during college and the years after. She returned to running when she moved from Boston to Austin and wanted to get in better shape before her wedding. To keep up her motivation after the wedding, she signed up with AustinFit to train for her first half-marathon. She has run with Austin Fit ever since, minus taking about a year off twice to have her two sons. She took up triathlon two years ago and has since completed two half-Ironman races with her twin brother. This year she is an assistant coach for the half marathon and is so excited to lead a group, see old running friends, and make many new ones.