- Years running – 34 (first marathon in 2000)
- Number of Marathons – 32
- Number of Ultra Marathons – 1 (Sunmart 50K Ultra Marathon)
- Number of Half Marathons – 16
- Favorite Races – (1) Disney Marathon, (2) Sunmart 50K Ultra Marathon, (3) TCS New York City Marathon, and (4) Mayor’s Midnight Sun Marathon (Anchorage, AK)
- Favorite Distance – 50K (31 miles)
- Goals – (1) to run a marathon in each of the 50 states, and (2) to break under the 4½ hour mark.
Jeff started running in high school and continued during his college years at UT Austin. While at UT, he got to where he ran the Longhorn Dam loop (MoPac to Longhorn Dam and back) three times a week. It was during that time that he set the goal to “someday” run a marathon.
When Jeff went off to law school in Des Moines, Iowa for three years, he stopped running for a while. “With all the ice and snow, I found it very hard to run outside for several months of the year and I despise running long distances indoors or on a track.”
Upon his return to Austin, he slowly got back into running and ultimately stumbled upon an advertisement for a marathon training group called, Austin FIT. Remembering his goal to run a marathon, he signed up. At registration, he could not even complete the 2-mile pace run. But 26 weeks later, he completed his first marathon.
Because of how this experience changed his life, he decided to become a marathon coach and he since has dedicated himself to helping others attain the same goal. He has been a coach, head coach, and organizer/director for Austin FIT, and he has been an assistant coach and head coach for Team In Training.
Jeff has since run 32 total marathons and one ultra-marathon, along with many half marathons and 10K’s and 5K’s. Running is a big stress reliever for Jeff and provides a diversion from the hectic pace of life as an attorney in Austin.