There are always several races around Austin, but Spring-time brings out the best of the best! Most of the races give funds back to local charities and/or a great cause. Support your local community and run or walk a 5K/10K/2 Mile/or 1 Mile race this Spring!!!
Here is what’s coming up in April & May 2013:
- Saturday April 13: Longhorn Run – Austin 10K & 2 Mile around the UT campus with a faster course this year and great prizes (boots, buckle, NIKE fuelband)! Support the UT Student Government with NIKE and Luke’s Locker/Victory sponsors for this local race.
- Saturday April 13: Blue Bell Fun Run – Brenham 10K, 5K, & Kids Run. The course starts off at Brenham High School in scenic and historic Washington County. The Trestle Trail guides runners through Brenham’s beautiful countryside. Paved, winding roads take you past rolling hills covered in Bluebonnets. It’s fun for kids and adults alike – especially after crossing the finish line where you get to eat all the Blue Bell you want! Started in 1978, this race benefits the Brenham High School Athletic Program
- Sunday April 21: American Heroes 5K – Camp Mabry Austin benefiting: Honor Flight Austin, Hope for Heros, and Texas Military Forces Museum. This 5K happens during American Heroes weekend where spectators can watch war reenactments, the American Heroes Air Show and learn about different organizations in the Central Texas areas serving veterans and military families. Bring your ID – and bring the family!
- Saturday April 27: Texas Roundup 5K & Family Mile – The current initiative of the Texas Round-Up is to increase youth participation in sport. Proceeds from the Texas Round-Up 5K and Family Mile event are donated to public elementary schools in Texas so that they may improve the opportunities of youth to participate in sports and fitness. The Texas Round-Up is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
- Sunday April 28: Schlotzsky’s Bun Run 5K & 10K & Kids K – or bring your dog and let them try for fastest dog in Austin! The Schlotzsky’s Bun Run benefits the Austin Sunshine Camps, which through the support of the Austin Young Men’s Business League, has provided summer camping experiences and leadership opportunities for under-served youth in the Austin area for more than 80 years. One of the oldest & fastest races in Austin!!
- Saturday May 4: Chuy’s Hot to Trot 5K benefiting Special Olympics Texas Join us for our 30th year of keeping Austin fit and help a great cause! Our flat course in south Austin offers an easy route for beginners, and an opportunity to set a personal record for those competitive runners. The King of Rock and Roll will make an appearance, along with his buddy Chuy the Redfish. Every paid participant gets an entry into our door prize drawing for prizes like Chuy’s & Shady Grove gift certificates.
- Saturday May 11: 5K9 Walk Run benefiting Austin Pets Alive! Come out and make a difference for your community’s animal welfare lifeline! The event starts and finishes at Walter E. Long Metropolitan Park, 6614 Blue Bluff Rd, Austin, TX.
- Sunday May 26: Austin Autism Speaks 8K & 1K All proceeds benefit Autism Speaks – the world’s leading autism science and advocacy organization, dedicated to funding research into the causes, prevention, treatments and a cure for autism. Held at Camp Mabry presented by Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf
These races too easy…want to throw in some biking and swimming? Here are a couple triathlons to get you started!
- Sunday May 5 Rookie Tri presented by High Five Events and is the first Tri in the Texas Tri Series. The Rookie Triathlon course is a 300 meter swim, 11.2 mile bike, and 2 mile run. The swim is held in Decker Lake. The bike will be held on partially closed roads, with the cyclist in a protected lane. The run is a mixture of park road and smooth off-road paths.
- Monday May 27 CapTexTri has become one of the most popular multisport races in the country. The “Premier Texas Triathlon” is now part of the Life Time Triathlon Series and fills the streets of Austin on Memorial Day, selling out with 3,000 participants. The CapTexTri attracts all levels of athletes from top ranked professionals to first-time triathletes. The event includes the USA Paratriathlon National Championship, sprint and international distances, First Tri distance, sprint and international distance relays and even a Kid’s Run