The fitness walking division of USA FIT Austin is known as the Purple Group, and we are glad that you have chosen to join us!
We are proud to have a fitness walking group and have worked hard over the last few years to create a vibrant program that will help you to train safely while improving your speed and performance.
We have four programs to choose from:
- Walk FIT: Prepares members to complete a half or full marathon. Please note that the marathon requires all participants to complete the course within seven hours (16-minute-mile pace average). It is a walker-friendly event! Our Walk FIT group also trains first-time walkers who don’t wish to train for half or full marathon training distances.
- Get FIT: Trains beginning walkers for 2 – 8 mile distances.
- Hew-Silverberg: Walking with a purpose training method, designed around interval routine that can be modified for any level. Option intervals include a walk\run phase for beginners starting and desire to move to running.
- Walking It Up: This program is for the true beginner. See below for more information
Exercise routines can be tough to stick with, especially with today’s busy schedules. But Austin FIT head walking coach, Elayne Barber, and her team of 10+ assistant coaches work to help you accomplish your goal through knowledgeable and compassionate coaching. We’ll work with you to find a pace group that accommodates YOUR level of fitness. Our current pace groups range from 12- to 20-minute miles. Pace groups include:
- 12:00 to 13:59
- 14:00 to 14:59
- 15:00 to 15:59
- Get FIT
- Walking It Up
Walking It Up
This walking program is for the true beginner. Whether you are 30 pounds overweight, 30 years or older, your BMI is over 30 or you’re just are not sure you can do 30 minutes of exercise, this program is your starting point.
This is a true beginners walking program. NO, not a mall walker but a fitness walker; this is training for beginners. A program based on the lessons learned by folks that have personally dealt with there own weight and health issues. Designed from years of passion to help you begin and become the athlete your mind sees you can become! Passionate people, with real answers to help transform you into a leaner healthier you.
The program is designed to teach you techniques to walk injury free and get you to the finish line of a 5k race. Our goal is to give you a solid foundation to build you fitness walking on. The program is structured in a 9 week cycle so no matter when or where you join our year long program you can step in and learn, enjoy training with others and have the opportunity to grow. This program is the first step of a much bigger walking program with Austin Fit. Starting here you have the foundation to go on to the Get Fit program (training for a 10k), then the half and full marathon training. The walking program is a year round program as we see it; a lifetime commitment to fitness. Joining this program will change your life. As you become accountable to fellow walkers you will keep your motivation to meet the challenge of the next race or walking event.
When you sign up you will complete a questionnaire allowing us to meet your needs. This is not personal training, but we want to know how we can ensure success for you by addressing issue that you face personally. A team goal will be selected as a group, picking a race or an event to keep your focus on meeting an improved level of performance, whether it is speed increase or getting to the finish line injury free.
An example of the one hour training session:
- Stretching to begin
- Motivation Tips to be successful
- Drills for walkers
- A one mile walk (timed to track improvement)
- Stretching to end
- Week day tips to help you meet your goal
Special guest speakers and events will be available to help you meet your goal. Some examples from the past:
- Walker’s Fashion Show
- Shoe fitting seminar
- Recovery Training for after your race
- Nutrition tips to change your eating attitude
- Moving to the next program level
Weekly Seminars & Newsletters
Expanding beyond the Saturday seminars, the walking program has a weekly newsletter which will educate and inspire you. We’ll offer training tips to help you reach your goal, and you’ll also receive the support of our sponsors throughout the training. Here are some of the topics we touch on in the Purple Group:
- Setting a fitness pace and keeping it
- Choosing the best walking shoes for your needs
- Setting goals
- Hydration and nutrition for walking
- Safe walking form
- Skillful stretching and muscle care
- Social connection
- Increasing pace
- Using a Pedometer
We look forward to working with each you over the next six months to set and achieve your goals, whether it be a faster half marathon time or just getting off the sofa and walking. Our walkers come from all experience levels, but we all have one thing in common: reaching our fitness goals. We look forward to helping you succeed.